When it comes to upgrading and improving the comfort, style and value of a bathroom, adding a modern walk-in shower is a terrific idea. From floor-to-ceiling glass doors to intricate mosaic tile designs, these showers offer the perfect blend of form and function.
More than ever, homeowners are seeking unique and stunning walk-in shower designs for their homes. In the West Sacramento and Reno, NV, areas, USA Bath is the name to trust for innovative bathroom and shower designs. Read on to pick up some great ideas for your new walk-in shower.
15 of Today’s Hottest Walk-In Shower Trends
If you’re ready to be inspired to put a stylish new twist on your bathroom, the following 15 walk-in shower design ideas are sure to help:
- Built-in storage – Since walk-in showers lack bathtubs’ convenient ledges on which to place things, adding built-in storage to a walk-in shower is a smart move. Add a recessed shelf to the inside of your shower for an unobtrusive place for storing shampoos, soaps and the like. Consider adding another one just outside of the shower for an even more convenient design.
- Specialized glass – For an exceptionally chic, clean design for your modern walk-in shower, consider investing in specialized glass that is designed to have no color distortion whatsoever. Such glass is more expensive, to be sure, but it is so clear that it renders the doors virtually invisible. In turn, the rest of the bathroom appears more spacious and open—and you can really show off intricate tilework and the like on the shower walls and floor too.
- Extra steam – Replicate a spa-like experience by adding a hidden steam generator to your walk-in shower. For this to work properly, you’re going to want to install a floor-to-ceiling glass shower enclosure so that steam bottles up properly. Adding a transom window, which only circulates air while the shower is in use, will help to make your showering experience all the more comfortable and luxurious.
- Contrasting floor and wall tilework – Add visual interest and spark to a walk-in shower by choosing contrasting styles for the tilework on the walls and the floor. For example, using large, light-colored tiles with simple patterns on the floor and smaller, darker, more intricately designed tiles on the walls creates a stunning juxtaposition.
- Skylight – If the bathroom where your walk-in shower is located is fairly small and dark, installing a skylight can open it up in a big way. When paired with elegant tilework, clear glass doors and other special touches, the natural light streaming in will be all the more inviting. There’s also something about showering in natural light that is soothing and enjoyable.
- Shower seat – If you’ve held off on installing a walk-in shower because you doubt it will be relaxing enough, adding a shower seat is a great option to consider. Modern walk-in showers often utilize sleek marble seats that are suspended directly from the wall, which gives them the appearance of floating and creates a more fluid design. Use the seat when shaving, for shampoo bottles or just for sitting and enjoying your special showering experience.
- Dry bar – If you have the room for it, including a heated towel rack in a walk-in shower adds a strong dose of spa-like allure. Steam from the shower helps to warm the towels further while you bathe, and having the heated rack inside the shower eliminates the need to dry off outside of it. You will love being able to reach for a warm, cozy towel immediately after you are finished.
- Subway tile – Being on-trend is great, but it is also smart to consider a future day when you must sell your home. In that regard, going for the timeless look of subway tile inside of your walk-in shower is an excellent solution. Install it from the floor all of the way to the ceiling to add pop and excitement, and consider letting it extend beyond the shower walls for an especially modern twist.
- Barrier-free design – Another design trend that is picking up steam in the world of walk-in showers is eliminating the doors entirely and opting for floor-to-ceiling panels of glass instead. The panels can be installed strategically to allow for easy entry and exit while still shielding the rest of the space from splashing water and the like.
- A dedicated shower room – If your shower is currently in its own small, separate room, consider turning that entire space into a walk-in shower. The original door can be removed and replaced with a sleek glass one, and stylish tilework can be used to transform the small area into one that feels more spacious and inviting.
- Non-enclosed design – For larger spaces, a non-enclosed walk-in shower design can be a fun and stylish twist. The goal is to create a virtually seamless transition from the rest of the bathroom into the showering area. A half-wall with elegant tilework is a smart way to add a bit of separation. There’s also no need for a raised step, which makes for a safer design.
- Mixed tilework – Although coordinating tiles are typically used in bathroom design schemes, walk-in showers allow for a bit more creativity. Consider buying a combination of different tiles to create a truly one-of-a-kind look. Choose tiles of varying sizes, shapes, textures and colors to produce a funky yet modern look that is sure to make your walk-in shower a true place of respite.
- Contrasting mosaic tile borders – Add pop and excitement to your walk-in shower by adding a contrasting mosaic tile border to the walls. A great idea is to have the border tiles match the tilework on the floor. If the shower includes built-in shelving—another great design idea—consider having the tilework there match the border and floor tiles too. With clear glass doors, you’ll be able to admire the stylish contrasts all the better.
- Frameless doors – If you are going for a truly clean, crisp, contemporary bathroom design, opting for frameless glass doors for your walk-in shower is an on-trend option to consider. Since these doors are so austere, it is nice to add a funky handle for visual interest. You can take your pick from countless options, which allows you to achieve a truly personalized look.
- Multiple showerheads – Create the ambiance of a five-star resort spa by having multiple showerheads installed in your walk-in shower. Start out with a luxurious rainfall showerhead on the ceiling, and then add various nozzles and spray types to the walls for a truly immersive and opulent experience. There are tons of styles to choose from, so you can create a one-of-a-kind design that truly enhances the overall space.
Take Your Walk-In Shower Design to the Next Level Today
The ideas above are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to creating a modern, on-trend walk-in shower. Combine several of them to achieve a look and design that is perfect for the space that you’re working with. Better still, bring in the experts to assist you in achieving the walk-in shower design of your dreams. In Reno, NV, and West Sacramento, CA, USA Bath is the name to trust for superior bathroom design and installation services. We’re ready to help, so give us a call.